Tax information can be tough to understand in any language, but it can be even more difficult if it is not in your first language. To assist Spanish speaking taxpayers, the IRS provides a wide range of free products and services.
Here are eight ways you can seek help from the IRS if you need assistance with your federal taxes in Spanish:
1) Get answers 24 hours a day seven days a week. IRS.gov/espanol has a wealth of information accessible all day, every day for individuals and businesses. You will find links to tax-related information, disaster relief, identity theft and warnings about common tax scams that victimize taxpayers. You can also check the status of your tax refund through the online tool ¿Dónde está mi reembolso? and even find out if you qualify for the Earned Income Tax Credit, a refundable tax credit for people who earned less than $48,000, using the Asistente EITC on our secure Web site.
2) Find out all about electronic filing. Virtually everyone can prepare a return and file it for free. You can e-file from the comfort of your home 24 hours a day, seven days a week. E-file is fast and safe and available in both Spanish and English. Last year, 2 out of 3 taxpayers used e-file. Additionally, about 70 percent of taxpayers are eligible for the IRS Traditional Free File. Find out more about Free File at IRS.gov.
3) Get up-to-date at the Multimedia Center. Watch YouTube video tax tips and listen to audio podcasts on various IRS topics in Spanish and English by entering the keywords "Centro Multimediático" into the search box of IRS.gov.
4) TeleTax is a toll-free, automated telephone service. TeleTax provides helpful pre-recorded tax topic messages and refund information. You can find a list of over 125 TeleTax topics, available in Spanish and English, in the instructions for Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. TeleTax can also help if at least four weeks have passed since you filed your return and want to check on the status of your federal refund. Having a copy of the tax return handy will help you respond to the prompts on the automated system. TeleTax is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week at 800-829-4477.
5) Toll-Free Telephone Assistance is available from Spanish-speaking IRS representatives by calling the IRS customer service line at 800-829-1040 and then pressing 8.
6) Get tax forms and publications. You can view and download several tax forms and publications in Spanish directly from IRS.gov/espanol at any hour of the day or night. You can also get them by calling 800-TAX-FORM (800-829-3676).
7) Visit the IRS Spanish Newsroom. Find the agency's most recent announcements, tips and information on recently implemented tax law that could affect you. Avoid missing any benefits and keep up to date by typing the keywords "Noticias en Espanol" into the search box of IRS.gov.
8) Multilingual Assistance at IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers. Don't let a language barrier prevent you from getting the face-to-face tax assistance you may need when you believe your tax issue cannot be handled online or by phone. Multilingual services are offered to taxpayers in more than 150 languages, including Spanish, through bilingual employees and an Over-the-Phone Interpreter. TAC locations, hours and services are available at IRS.gov/individuals by clicking on the link for Contact My Local Office in the left tool bar section.
Remember that all of the web page addresses for the official IRS website, IRS.gov, begin with http://www.irs.gov. Don' t be confused or misled by Internet sites that end in .com, .net, .org or other designations instead of .gov. The address of the official IRS governmental Web site is http://www.irs.gov/.
|INFORMATIONAL DISCLAIMER The information contained on or provided through this site is intended for general consumer understanding and education only and is not intended to be and is not a substitute for professional financial or accounting advice. Always seek the advice of your accountant or other qualified personal finance advisor for answers to any related questions you may have. Use of this site and any information contained on or provided through this site is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.|