By Scott Meeks
Add a little sparkle to both Hanukkah and Christmas with these easy green SOY votives. That's right, soy isn't just for tofu. Soy wax burns cleaner, cooler and longer than paraffin candles. So it's the perfect way to GO GREEN for the holidays.
Here's what you need:
- 8 small glass votives (don't buy any, you probably have tons around your house)
- Microwavable soy wax flakes
- Cinnamon essential oil
- Wick cut into 8 pieces, about ¾ the height of your votives
- 8 wick tabs
- Translucent craft paper cut into 8 strips (light blue)
- Letter punches (Punches that spell out HANUKKAH or HOLIDAY! Make 9 votives if you want to spell CHRISTMAS!)
- Clear tape
Here's how you make them:
1) Using your votive as a measuring cup, scoop 8 portions of soy wax flakes into a glass bowl.
2) Microwave in 20 second intervals until all of the wax is melted.
3) Let the wax cool for 2-3 minutes and add a few drops of cinnamon essential oil.
4) Attach your wicks to the wick tabs.
5) Dip the wick tabs into the melted wax and add them to the glass votives. This will keep them in place.
6) Fill each votive about 1/3 of the way up with melted wax. If you have leftover wax, divide it between the 8 votives.
7) While your candles are cooling, cut out 8 strips of translucent craft paper, big enough to go around your votives.
8) Punch out one letter on each strip.
9) Wrap one strip around each votive and secure with a small piece of tape.
10) Trim the wicks and let your candles harden for 24 hours before using.
If you don't have letter punches, use plain translucent paper. It looks just as nice.
*DISCLAIMER*: The information contained in or provided through this site section is intended for general consumer understanding and education only and is not intended to be and is not a substitute for professional advice. Use of this site section and any information contained on or provided through this site section is at your own risk and any information contained on or provided through this site section is provided on an "as is" basis without any representations or warranties.