FAIRFAX, Va. (AP) - A likely outbreak of viral gastroenteritis caused about 40 students staying at George Mason University to become sick this week.
The Fairfax County Health Department said Thursday that it was investigating an outbreak that occurred among students participating in a program sponsored by the Congressional Award Foundation.
About 40 of the 80 students became ill. Physician Peter Troell (TROLL) with the county health department said the students likely contracted viral gastroenteritis, which causes vomiting and diarrhea. The disease is sometimes referred to as "stomach flu" even though it is not caused by influenza viruses. Germs like norovirus and rotavirus can sometimes be responsible for outbreaks of gastroenteritis.
Troell said testing is ongoing to see if a specific virus is responsible for the outbreak.
Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.