CHESTERFIELD, VA—A Chesterfield man and avid snake collector found dead in his home died from complications from a snake bite, the State Medical Examiner's Office said.
Jack Redmond, 70, was found by his wife dead in their home, located in the 10800 block of Hinshaw Drive.
Police responded to her call for assistance shortly after 3:30 PM on Monday, October 1.
Redmond was found dead with a bite mark on his finger, amidst 24 venomous snakes in his home, police said.
The State Medical Examiner's Office on Thursday said Redmond died from complications from a snake bite.
In total, 41 reptiles—one gecko and forty snakes—were removed from the home. Twenty-four of the snakes were venomous breeds, including copperheads, rattlesnakes and vipers. Police confirm that the snakes were not loose in the home when the man was found.
According to the Chesterfield County Code of Ordinances, it is illegal to own venomous snakes in Chesterfield County (view it here).
Redmond was an avid collector of snakes, according to family friend Chip Hughes. The following statement has been provided by Redmond's family:
"Jack was a loving and wonderful husband and amazing friend to so many people. He loved old cars, travel, art, languages and old nature. He cared greatly about the environment. He was bravely fighting cancer and found ways to laugh and make everyone else laugh."
The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries will assist Chesterfield County Police in identifying and transferring the animals to a facility where they may be cared for and adopted.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact Chesterfield County Police at (804) 748-1269.
This is a developing story…stay with 8News for updates.
301 Arboretum Place, Richmond
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.