SAUTEED AUTUMN/WINTER VEGETABLE MEDLEY
4 to 6 servings
- 1 to 2 carrot(s), peeled and thinly sliced, or cut into a julienne (very thin 1½-inch length pieces)
- 1 to 2 parsnip(s), peeled and thinly sliced, or cut into a julienne (very thin 1½ -inch length pieces)
- 1 to 2 turnip(s), peeled and cut into small cubes or a julienne (very thin 1½ -inch length pieces)
- 1 small to medium onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded cabbage, core discarded
- 2 cups shredded red cabbage, core discarded
- 1 to 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive or other cooking oil (corn, canola, or safflower oil), or butter or margarine
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Few drops Worcestershire sauce or to taste (optional)
- Few drops hot pepper sauce or several grains cayenne pepper or to taste (optional)
- Sprigs of parsley or minced parsley (no stems) as desired for garnish
Prepare vegetables for sautéing.
In a deep large heavy skillet, heat oil or melt butter or margarine over moderate heat. Add carrot(s), parsnip(s), turnip(s), and onion to skillet; increase temperature slightly and sauté, stirring frequently, for about 4 minutes.
Add cabbage and red cabbage and continue sautéing just until cabbage is crisp tender. Do not overcook cabbage; cabbage should not be limp and mushy. Season vegetable mixture with salt and pepper, and Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce or cayenne pepper, if desired. Garnish with sprigs of parsley or minced parsley and serve immediately.