HENRICO, VA— A Henrico County home suffered smoke damage after a house fire Sunday evening.
The fire broke out a home on Hearthrock Court just before 10:00 p.m. Sunday.
Fire officials said someone inside the home called 911 and said they could see fire coming out from under the fireplace.
When fire crews arrived on scene, smoke and flames were come from the rear of the home. The fire was extinguished in just under 15 minutes.
Firefighters said the wooden base inside the wood frame chimney caught fire, and the fire was contained within the chimney area.
The metal fire box and flu system within the chimney had heated the base plate causing the fire, according to officials.
A fire stop built inside the framed chimney kept the fire from extending to the attic, officials said.
No one was injured in the fire. The home suffered minor smoke damage but is still livable.
Copyright 2012 by Young Broadcasting of Richmond
301 Arboretum Place, Richmond VA, 23236