Woman Pulled From Henrico Apartment Fire - 8NEWS - WRIC | News Where You Live

Woman Pulled From Henrico Apartment Fire

Posted: Updated:
Photo courtesy of Henrico County Fire Department Photo courtesy of Henrico County Fire Department

HENRICO, VA –One person was rescued from on overnight fire Sunday in Henrico.

The fire broke out at an apartment above a detached garage on Sholey Road near Osborne Turnpike, just before 1 a.m. Monday.

A person inside the apartment, was trapped, fire officials said. The woman's father, who lives next door, was able to put a ladder up to the second story window to rescue her.

Fire officials said the woman was in her apartment when the power went out. When she got up to investigate, she smelled smoke.

She went to leave the apartment and realized the fire was in the garage and heat and smoke were coming up the stairwell to the exit.

The apartment did have a smoke detector, but it did not activate due to a dead battery, fire officials said.

The cause of the fire was determined to be a space heater located in the garage that was being run off an extension cord. The cord overheated and caused the fire.

When Henrico County Fire crews arrived on scene, heavy smoke was billowing from a garage.

The fire was under control in just under 20 minutes, fire officials said.

The fire caused moderate damage to the garage and smoke damage throughout the apartment.

 

Copyright 2012 by Young Broadcasting of Richmond

Powered by WorldNow

301 Arboretum Place, Richmond
VA, 23236

Telephone: 804.330.8888
Fax: 804.330.8881
Email: news@wric.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.