HENRICO, Va – An early morning fire causes extensive damage to a kitchen and displaces a family of three. At 2:19 AM Henrico County Division of Fire responded to a report of a single family residential fire at 405 Gunnsboro Ct. Henrico 911 received a call reporting a house on fire in the 400 block of Pleasant Street, which is about five blocks from the actual address of the fire. Fire crews discovered the mistake on the approach to the given address.
When units arrived they discovered smoke billowing out of the front side of the two story structure. They confirmed that everyone was out of the house and made an aggressive interior fire attack. Firefighters discovered heavy fire conditions in the kitchen area bringing the blaze under control in about 20 minutes. Two adults and one teenage child will be displaced and are staying with family members close by. No injuries to civilians or firefighters were reported.
It was unclear if a working smoke detector was present at the time of the fire. The occupant stated she heard loud noises and woke up to find the house on fire. No smoke detector was going off when fire crews entered the structure. The cause of the fire is believed to have started when a towel hanging on the front of the stove ignited while the stove was on a self cleaning process.
It is important to provide 911 with correct information when reporting incidents. In this case no delay in response was caused due to crews discovering the fire on the approach to the given address and a hydrant was located just feet from the actual address.
Henrico Fire would like to remind everyone that cooking related fires are the number one cause of residential fires. Don't invite disaster as your holiday guest, please be safe and never leave cooking unattended. Have a safe and happy holiday
Stay with 8News for the latest.
Copyright 2012 by Young Broadcasting of Richmond
301 Arboretum Place, Richmond
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.