PETERSBURG, VA—A Petersburg military mom and her two young children are recovering after a fire broke out in their apartment early Wednesday morning.
The mother was able to drop her two children from the second-floor apartment to an emergency responder who was outside the building. The woman then jumped from the apartment.
The woman says a candle, lit in honor of her Army Sergeant husband who's currently deployed in Germany, set fire to her living room.
The children, a 2-year-old and a 5-year-old, were not harmed. The woman injured her leg.
The fire broke out in the apartment on Woodmere Drive around 1 a.m. Wednesday. Fire crews were able to contain the fire.
The American Red Cross is assisting the family.
8News Anchor Amy Lacey has the story, Wednesday on 8News at 5:30 p.m.
Copyright 2013 by Young Broadcasting of Richmond
301 Arboretum Place, Richmond
Can't find something?
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.