Kitchen Fire Shuts Down Patterson Avenue Restaurant - 8NEWS - WRIC | News Where You Live

Kitchen Fire Shuts Down Patterson Avenue Restaurant

Posted: Updated:

Henrico, VA—A fryer fire shut down a combination Kentucky Fried Chicken and Long John Silvers restaurant Tuesday afternoon just before the lunch hour.

A fire broke out in the kitchen of the restaurant at 8810 Patterson Avenue on April 16; a fryer caught fire with smoke and flames visible. Henrico Fire crews responded to the scene at 11:16 a.m., and found heavy black smoke billowing from the roof of the building and the entrance.

The restaurant was evacuated, as crews battled the flames in the kitchen. The fryer fire had spread to the hood vent system, as well.

The fire was contained within 30 minutes; it is unclear if the restaurants fire suppression system (sprinklers) were activated during the incident.

Employees told firemen that they discovered the fire under the fryer, and tried to smother it with a fire extinguisher. They fled the kitchen, however, when the smoke became too thick.

There were no injuries in this incident. The restaurant will remain closed until repairs are made and the Health Department has conducted an inspection.

Stay with 8News for updates.

Copyright 2013 by Young Broadcasting of Richmond

Powered by WorldNow

301 Arboretum Place, Richmond
VA, 23236

Telephone: 804.330.8888
Fax: 804.330.8881

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.