No Injuries In Sandston Apartment Fire - ABC 8NEWS - WRIC | Richmond, Virginia News & Weather

No Injuries In Sandston Apartment Fire

Posted: Updated:

SANDSTON, Va. (WRIC)—No one was injured when a fire broke out at a Sandston apartment early Wednesday morning after investigators say a person cooking breakfast left a pot unattended on the kitchen stove.

The fire broke out just before 4:45 a.m. at an apartment building at the Gerwyn Manor Apartments complex in Henrico County.

Investigators say a person was cooking breakfast when they left the kitchen, leaving a pot unattended.

When the person returned, they found flames had spread from the pot and consumed the kitchen.

The fire was initially reported as a two-alarm fire with 20-foot flames, but crews were able to knock down the flames in just under an hour.

The affected apartment unit was a complete loss, but no other units were damaged by the fire.

One person was displaced by the fire; they are being assisted by the American Red Cross.

The cause of the fire was confirmed as an accidental cooking fire by the fire investigator.

Stay with 8News for updates.

Copyright 2013 by Young Broadcasting of Richmond

Powered by WorldNow

301 Arboretum Place, Richmond
VA, 23236

Telephone: 804.330.8888
Fax: 804.330.8881
Email: news@wric.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.