HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC)—One adult
male and one adult female were displaced by a fire that tore through a north
side home early Wednesday morning.
At 3:25 a.m. on Dec. 4, the Henrico
County Division of Fire responded to the 1900 block of Oak Hill Lane, off of
Mechanicsville Turnpike, for a house fire. Heavy fire raged from the roof and
rear of the home.
Fire crews found that the main power
line to the house had been burned off and was causing a hazard on the side of
the structure. The fire was marked under control at 4:08 a.m. and did not
spread to any other homes in the neighborhood. The house was declared a total
The residence's two occupants, who
said they were awakened by a loud noise coming from the rear of the home, were
able to escape from the flames without injury.
The home did have a smoke detector,
but it is unclear if it was working properly; the detector was not going off
when the occupants fled the house.
The Fire Marshall's Office is
investigating the incident, though the homeowners believe a malfunctioning
furnace may have caused the fire.
The Henrico Division of Fire reminds
the public that smoke detectors save lives, and to make sure you check the
detectors in your home regularly to ensure they are working properly.