Firefighters Rescue Elderly Woman, Dog from Burning Home
Photo courtesy of Hanover Fire-EMS
Photo by Brad Davis
HANOVER COUNTY, Va. (WRIC)—An elderly woman and her dog were forced out of their home when it caught on fire Wednesday morning.
At 6:22 a.m. on Feb. 5, crews were called to a residence on the 11000 block of Rocky Ridge Road near Ashland. They arrived to find flames coming from the eaves and roof area of the ranch-style brick home. A crew of about 20 Hanover Fire-EMS personnel was able to bring the blaze under control in approximately 45 minutes.
One resident, an 87-year-old woman, was assisted out of the house and taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. She has since been released. Neither the woman's dog nor any firefighters were injured.
According to the Fire Marshal, the fire was deemed accidental, as the result of an electrical malfunction. Hanover-Fire EMS says such malfunctions are the leading cause of residential attic fires at 43 percent.