Fireplace Ashes Severely Damage Chesterfield Home - 8NEWS - WRIC | News Where You Live

Fireplace Ashes Severely Damage Chesterfield Home

Posted: Updated:
Photo by Paul Nevadomski Photo by Paul Nevadomski

CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC)—Chesterfield County Fire Marshals have determined that fireplace ashes caused a house fire on Monday afternoon.

At 3:47 p.m. on Feb. 17, the Chesterfield County Department of Fire & Emergency Medical responded to a home at 9024 Pepperidge Road for a report of a fire. The blaze had taken over the basement and first floor of the residence, and crews found heavy smoke coming from the home upon their arrival. It took nearly a half hour to get the blaze under control, and the house suffered significant damage.

The Greater Richmond Chapter of the American Red Cross is assisting the three adults and one child who were displaced by the fire.  

On Tuesday morning, the Chesterfield Fire & EMS announced that the fire was accidental, caused by fireplace ashes that had been placed in a basement trash can.

Chesterfield Fire & EMS said in a press release, "Fire officials would like to remind you that fireplace ashes should be placed in a metal container and removed from the home. Once outside the home, it is always a good practice to wet down the ashes thoroughly to ensure they have been extinguished."

 

Copyright 2014 by Young Broadcasting of Richmond

Powered by WorldNow

301 Arboretum Place, Richmond
VA, 23236

Telephone: 804.330.8888
Fax: 804.330.8881
Email: news@wric.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.