- 1 pound fresh green beans (see note)
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions (include some green parts)
- 1 to 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted (see note)
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cornbread stuffing mix
- Toasted slivered blanched almonds or sliced almonds or cashews (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Chopped pimento for garnish (optional)
Remove tip ends and strings from beans.
In a medium heavy saucepan, cook green beans, uncovered, in enough boiling salted water to just
cover beans for 12 to 15 minutes or until beans are crisp tender. Do not overcook.
Drain beans well.
While beans are cooking, saute green onion in butter in a small heavy skillet over moderate heat until crisp tender; add stuffing mix, tossing mixture lightly.
Remove from heat and set aside until beans are finished cooking.
Add onion/stuffing mixture and nuts to well-drained beans.
Season with salt and pepper to taste, tossing mixture lightly to mix.
serving with chopped pimento, if desired. Note:
May use 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen green beans; cook according to package directions. Note:
May reduce butter or margarine, if desired; liberally coat skillet with non-caloric vegetable
cooking spray. Variation:
Reduce green beans to 8 ounces and add 8 ounces yellow wax beans to mixture.
Prepare as previously directed.