6 to 8 servings
- 2 cups sifted flour
- 1½ cups sugar or the equivalent of 1½ cups sugar in granulated sugar substitute
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs, at room temperature and separated (see note)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk or reduced-fat or no-fat milk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, stems removed, or 1 cup thawed frozen whole blueberries (no syrup)
- 2/3 cup chopped pecans or English walnuts or slivered blanched almonds (optional) (see note)
- Sweetened flavored whipped cream, or sweetened flavored whipped sour cream or reduced-fat or no-fat sour cream, or thawed frozen whipped topping of choice, or vanilla ice cream or reduced-fat vanilla ice cream for garnish (optional)
- Additional fresh blueberries as desired for garnish (optional)
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour and sugar. With a pastry blender or two tables knives, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Remove one-fourth of the mixture and reserve. Add baking powder and egg yolks to original mixture in bowl, beating with an electric mixer until smooth. In a second deep small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry, peaks are formed; fold beaten egg whites into butter/flour mixture in first bowl.
Evenly spread batter into a lightly greased 11 x 7 x 2-inch or 9 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan. Evenly sprinkle blueberries over batter in pan. Add nuts to reserved crumb mixture, if desired, mixing well. Evenly sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over blueberries. Bake in a preheated moderate oven (350 degrees F.) for 40 to 45 minutes or until done and golden brown on top.
Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature. May garnish each serving with a dollop of sweetened flavored whipped cream or whipped sour cream or other whipped topping of choice or vanilla ice cream and additional fresh blueberries, if desired.
Note: May use the equivalent of 1 egg in egg substitute in place of the 2 egg yolks; however, use the 2 egg whites as previously directed.
Note: If using almonds, may add a few drops almond extract to batter, if desired.