4 to 6 servings
- 4 cups chicken broth or 3 (13¾ -ounce) cans chicken or vegetable broth
- 12 ounces fresh spinach (preferably baby spinach)
- 4 ounces small to medium mushrooms, thinly sliced or coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled onion or green onion (include some green tops)
- 2 tablespoons shredded peeled carrot
- 1 to 2 tablespoons dry sherry (optional)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon or to taste grated or minced peeled gingerroot
- Few flakes dried hot red pepper or hot pepper sauce to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Minced green onion (include some green tops) as desired for garnish
Clean spinach, removing any grit or sand; rinse thoroughly and pat dry between sheets of absorbent paper. Remove stems and tear leaves into small pieces; set aside. Prepare onion or green onion and carrot for the soup.I na medium heavy saucepan, combine chicken broth, mushrooms, onion, sherry, and ginger; bring mixture to a simmer over moderate heat. Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Add spinach. Season with dried hot pepper flakes or hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper to taste. Return mixture to a simmer; continue to simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
To serve, lade soup into bowls and garnish each serving with a sprinkle of minced green onion.
Variation: Add 4 to 6 ounces chopped or bite-size pieces cooked boneless chicken breast or thigh to the soup during the last few minutes of cooking.