2 Henrico Kids Honored After Saving People from Fire - 8NEWS - WRIC | News Where You Live

2 Henrico Kids Honored After Saving People from Fire

Posted: Updated:
12-year-old Yamira Sinkler and 13-year-old Tre Crusan were named honorary firefighters and given certificates at the Board of Supervisors meeting. 12-year-old Yamira Sinkler and 13-year-old Tre Crusan were named honorary firefighters and given certificates at the Board of Supervisors meeting.
HENRICO COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) - Two Henrico kids were hailed as heroes and presented with special awards Tuesday night after they rushed into a burning apartment building and saved people from the flames.

12-year-old Yamira Sinkler and 13-year-old Tre Crusan were named honorary firefighters and given certificates at the Board of Supervisors meeting.

"I just want you to know that the Division of Fire in Henrico County is very proud of you," said Chief Anthony McDowell.

On Monday, April 14, Tre and Yamira were walking outside of the White Oak Apartments when they saw something unusual in a top floor apartment.

"I saw a bunch of smoke and then I saw a bit of flames," Tre says.

"We know that people live there and we didn't want them to die," says Yamira.

The two immediately called 911 then ran into the building.

"We went into the hallway and banged on the door," Yamira says.  "We banged on everybody else's door to get them out safely."

 "We thought people might get hurt," adds Tre.

The frantic tenants had no idea their home was on fire.  They ran out, grabbing their shoes and other belongings, as Yamira and Tre waited for firefighters.

"If they had not done what they did, that fire could have been much larger and involved more of the building," says Henrico Fire Captain Daniel Rosenbaum.

Firefighters say tenants could have received serious injuries or even died and many residents say they'll never forget what Yamira and Tre did.

"It felt awesome and proud," Tre says. "My dad's proud and my mom and family are proud."

"I always wanted to save peoples lives and now I finally got the chance to do it," says Yamira.

Firefighters say the fire was caused from a faulty electrical outlet in the bedroom.  It's been ruled an accident.

Copyright 2014 by Young Broadcasting of Richmond

Related Stories:

Boy Saves Grandmother From House Fire

Toddler’s FaceTime Saves Mom After Dog Bite

Powered by WorldNow

301 Arboretum Place, Richmond
VA, 23236

Telephone: 804.330.8888
Fax: 804.330.8881
Email: news@wric.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.