Smoking Materials Blamed For Deadly Chesterfield Fire; 1 Dead - 8NEWS - WRIC | News Where You Live

Smoking Materials Blamed For Deadly Chesterfield Fire; 1 Dead

Posted: Updated:
One person died from their injuries after a massive fire at a home off Hamlin Ct. One person died from their injuries after a massive fire at a home off Hamlin Ct.
CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) -

Discarded smoking materials are named as the cause of a deadly fire inside a Hamlin Court home Sunday morning; one person perished in the blaze while five residents and one firefighter were injured.

A massive house fire in Chesterfield County broke out around 2 a.m. Sunday at the 4100 block of Hamlin Ct.

Fire crews arrived on scene to find flames consuming most of the two-story home.

"The windows blew in on me about 5 seconds before I jumped out of bed. So if I wouldn't have woke up to wake everyone else up, we'd all be in that house right now,” said David Vance Sr, who was in the home when the fire started.

It was a terrifying wake up call for Vance Sr., who was sleeping in the when the fire broke out. Six people were inside.

"My room was just a huge ball of orange," he said.

Vance was staying with his son's family, including his two grandsons--a 1 and 6-year-old.

“Raised up looked out the window and could see the flames coming over the roof and just started hollering, 'Fire, get out of the house,’” said Vance.

Four people were able to get out through the back of the house. Two women left upstairs trapped.

"And then she just, dove out the window."

Firefighters had to rescue the other woman from a window. They were taken to VCU Medical Center with life-threatening injuries. A firefighter was also hurt in the blaze.

One of people firefighters rescued later died. Others people who were inside at the time of the fire remain hospitalized with serious injuries.

Chesterfield fire officials say the fire started from smoking material left on the front porch that spread to the rest of the house.

Meanwhile the family is dealing with the loss of a loved one...their home, and all of their belongings.

“I just hope to god this doesn't happen to anyone else, this is a bad thing to go through. it's...something you'll never forget, i won't ever forget it,” said Vance.

The family is also looking for a dog that lived in the home. Fire crews didn't find any signs of a dog inside the home, so the family hopes it got out. He’s a brown Boxer named Bruno that weighs about 80 lbs. If you have any information, call Chesterfield County Fire Department 804-748-1251.

Copyright 2014 by Young Broadcasting of Richmond

Related Stories:

Police: 4 found Dead After Petersburg Fire

Petersburg Community Holds Candlelight Vigil for Four People Found Dead in Fire



Powered by WorldNow

301 Arboretum Place, Richmond
VA, 23236

Telephone: 804.330.8888
Fax: 804.330.8881
Email: news@wric.com

Can't find something?
Powered by WorldNow
All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Media General Communications Holdings, LLC. A Media General Company.