Adam Oakes was a 19-year-old freshman attending Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond, Virginia, when he died accidentally in February 2021. Oakes was pledging the VCU Chapter of Delta Chi fraternity and was found unresponsive after a party. The medical examiner later found that Oakes’ death was caused by alcohol poisoning. Both VCU and the Delta Chi national chapter suspended the fraternity, and the investigation into alleged hazing and the individuals involved resulted in 11 men being charged with related crimes. Oakes’ family is advocating for anti-hazing legislation that is now making its way through the 2022 General Assembly session.
Thanks for signing up!
Watch for us in your inbox.