RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — This year marks the 20th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks that changed the nation and the world. Organizations across Central Virginia are honoring those who lost their lives on that tragic day.
8News compiled a list of local events memorializing the day.
9/11 at Richmond Raceway
- When: Thursday, Sept. 9
- Where: The Richmond Raceway
- Details: The racebway will be holding a memorial service on Thursday at 4 p.m. Throughout the weekend, the Richmond Raceway will be honoring the 20th anniversary of the 2001 terrorist attacks with displays honoring those who lost their lives, a charity auction supporting the 9/11 Museum & Memorial and teams racing with memorial deal on their cars.
Virginia War Memorial
- Eyewitness to History: September 11, 2001
- When: 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Friday, Sept. 10
- Where: Online
- Details: Clarence Singleton, a retired member of the New York City Fire Department and U.S. military veteran, will talk about his experience at the Twin Towers during the terrorist attack.
- Patriot Day: 20th Anniversary
- When: 11 a.m. to noon, Saturday, Sept. 11
- Where: The Virignia War Memorial
- Details: The memorial will hold an outdoor ceremony at the E. Bruce Heilman Amphitheater folled by an indoor book reading in Russell Scott Hall.
Chesterfield County Public Schools Commemoration of the 20th anniversary of 9/11
- When: 8:30 a.m. Friday, Sept. 10
- Where: Conference center lobby of the Career and Technical Center Hull Campus on 139000 Hull Street Road
- Details: A permanent display, which will have steel from the World Trade Center, will be dedicated at this event. A series of speaks, including World Trade Center first responders, will talk during this ceremony, the Meadowbrook High School JROTC will post the colors, and the Cosby High men’s choir will sing the National Anthem.
New Kent 9/11 20th Anniversary Commemoration Ceremony
- When: 8:30 a.m. Friday, Sept. 10
- Where: The steps of the New Kent County Courthouse on 12002 Courthouse Circle
- Details: This ceremony will be held by New Kent Sheriff’s Office and New Kent Fire-Rescue and Emergency Management. Light refreshments will be served afterwards.
The National Fallen Firefighters 9/11 Memorial Stair Climbs
- When: 7 a.m. to noon on Saturday, Sept. 11
- Where: City Stadium on 3201 Maplewood Ave.
- Details: This stair climb meant to hontor the firefighters that lost their lives on September 11. Firefighters across the country will climb the equivilant of the 110 stories of the World Trade Center. You can donate to famililes of local fallen firefighers online here.
Goochland County commemorations
- Annual service in memory of the First Responders
- When: 9:45 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 11
- Where: Goochland County Courthouse Station 5 on 2710 Fairground Road
- Details: The county’s first responders will gather to conduct a service honoring reading the names of emmbers of the FDNY, NYPD, Port Authority of NYNJ, and NYC-EMS who lost their lives during the terrorist attacks.
- Community ceremony
- When: 7 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 11
- Where: Goochland County FireRescue Manakin Station 1 on 180 River Road
- Details: This will be a “moving tribute” held at the site of the the Goochland County Memorial to September 11, 2001.
Colonial Williamsburg commemorative ceremony
- When: 8:45 a.m. Saturday, Sept. 11
- Where: The stesps of the Courthouse in Colonial Williamsburg
- Details: There will be a drum candace performed by a member of The Colonial Williamsburg Fifes & Drums, music, prayers and reflections by community leaders.
Remembering 9/11 at Evergreen Cemetery
- When: 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Sept. 11
- Where: Evergreen Cemetery on 50 Evergreen Road
- Details: In honor of those whodied in the 9/11 terrorist attacks, this event will be filling oles near gravestones and cleaning up the historic African American cemetery’s grounds.
5th Annual 9/11 Remeberance Ride
- When: 7:30 a.m. on Sunday, Sept. 12
- Where: Starting at the Prince Goerge County Fride Department Company 1 at 6500 Courthouse Road
- Details: The Red Nights International Motorcycle Club Virginia 8 will hold a breif blessing followed by the national anthem. The ride will kick off at 9:11 a.m. through Prince George, Sussex, Surry and Dinwiddie Counties. You can resiger online here.
Rosie’s Never Forget mobile exhibit
- When: October 20 to 25
- Where: Rosie’s Gaming Emprium on 6807 Midlothian Turnpike
- Details: The 9/11 Never Forget Mobile Exhibit is a tribute to all those who lost their lives during the terrorist attack. The 83-foot tractor trailer will house the 1,00 square foot exhiit wihich will include articats, documentary video and recordings of first responder raido transmissions. Admission is free and it will be displayed Roesie’s parkinglot.
Is there an event happening not on this list? Email us at email@example.com.