Local groups help build access ramp for disabled veteran

Positively Richmond

DINWIDDIE COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — The Men in Ministry teamed up with Home Depot to help a disabled veteran by adding an access ramp to his home after he fell twice from his front porch.

Roy Bell is a veteran, father, and a Minister. He’s been serving his community since before his tour in Iraq in 2008.

“Being a veteran is doing my part and giving back to my country,” Bell said.

Bell was wounded during his tour in Iraq and now has trouble getting around his home.

Men in Ministry member Cotton Sizemore said it was pleasing to see how members of the group wanted to build the veteran a ramp.

However, Bell says he isn’t used to having people help him.

“Always the last one to eat, last one to make sure your stuff is straight,” Bell said. “It’s kind of… out of the box for me to be on the receiving end.”

Home Depot helped make the project a reality.

“Veterans come back and don’t really have the means to keep their houses up, or get the help they need,” Dan Schneider said.

The ramp allows Bell to be able to get to his front door with ease. Bell said with this new repair to his home he will now be able to contribute more to his community and others.

Find 8News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Richmond Headlines

More Richmond

Chesterfield Headlines

More Chesterfield County

Henrico Headlines

More Henrico County

Hanover Headlines

More Hanover County

The Tri-Cities Headlines

More The Tri-Cities

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss