Long-time Children’s Hospital patient’s prom dreams come true

Positively Richmond

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Kyle Jenkins sings along to the music playing on his iPad. The 19-year-old has some favorite artists.

“Beyonce,” he lists. “And I like Fergie.”

Jenkins is getting ready to attend the Senior Prom at Essex High School Saturday night.

“It’s a big step for me, and it’s amazing that I can do this,” he says.

Jenkins has been at Children’s Hospital of Richmond at VCU, Brook Road Campus for the past eight years. 

His mom, Michelle Jenkins Thatcher, says he has Schwartz-Jampel Syndrome, which is a rare form of muscular dystrophy that requires around the clock care.

On Saturday, he will travel to Tappahannock for the prom and after party.

“Just having the best time of my life,” he imagines what the night will bring.

Thatcher says the night would not be possible without the generosity of people, some of whom were complete strangers until recently.

Kasey Brimmer, an Essex High School Senior, will do a photo shoot with Jenkins before the prom. 

Thatcher thanks Brimmer, her mom and Johnny Giambanco, owner of Roma’s restaurant, for chipping in to cover Jenkins’ tuxedo rental. 

Thatcher says the staff at Children’s Hospital worked with VanGo to provide transportation to make the special night a reality for Jenkins.

“Listen to music and make new friends,” Jenkins describes his plan for the prom.

He will travel back to Tappahannock for his June 15 high school graduation.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

StormTracker 8

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Local Events