RPS teacher to appear on ‘Ellen’ after photo of him cutting students hair goes viral

Positively Richmond

RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — An educator at Carver Elementary School made it his priority to cut his student’s hair for graduation — now he is making an appearance on The Ellen DeGeneres Show.

“I did not expect it to happen,” Mr. Robert Dunham told 8News. “I am just happy that I am able to shine a light on the amazing kids and teachers we have here in RPS.”

Dunham, a fifth-grade teacher at Carver, overheard one of his students say that he needed a haircut for graduation but didn’t know how he would be able to.

The morning of their June graduation, a fourth-grade teacher walked into Mr. Dunham’s classroom to find him giving a young boy a haircut. The teacher quickly snapped a photo.

Mr. Dunham cuts his students hair in his classroom for June graduation.

The photo went viral, leading him to create a non-profit called ‘Be the Change RVA,’ where Mr. Dunham works with local barbers to mentor children and provide free haircuts.

Dionyah Randolph said seeing the Black educator pour his love into a young Black boy by cutting his hair, reminded her of why she started teaching in the first place.

“Our jobs require more than teaching at Carver,” Randolph said. “We service many students who live in disadvantaged communities, so it’s our duty to put their needs first; everything else comes second.”

Catch Mr. Dunham on Ellen on Thursday, Sept. 19.

Find 8News on TwitterFacebook, and Instagram; send your news tips to iReport8@wric.com.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

RVA Responds

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Local Events