(WFLA) - A person has died and 164 others were sickened from a salmonella outbreak linked to raw turkey, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday.
The agency, which investigated the outbreak, said 63 people were hospitalized. One person died in California. The outbreak started last year.
“The outbreak strain of Salmonella Reading has been identified in various raw turkey products, including ground turkey and turkey patties,” the CDC said. “The outbreak strain has also been found in raw turkey pet food and live turkeys, indicating it might be widespread in the turkey industry.”
Health officials said they have found the strain at 22 slaughterhouses and seven turkey processing facilities.
The agency tweeted a warning for families planning Thanksgiving Day dinner.
The CDC said that it is not advising people to avoid eating turkey on Thanksgiving, but they should make sure the meat is thoroughly cooked.
Salmonella causes about 1.2 million illnessses, 23,000 hospitalizations and 450 deaths in the United States each year, the CDC estimates.
Symptoms of salmonella include diarrhea, fever and stomach cramping and can occur within 12 and 72 hours of consuming the infected item.