VIRGINIA (WRIC) — Here’s the latest on the coronavirus pandemic in Virginia for Tuesday, September 15, 2020.
Virginia has now reached 2,839 COVID-19 deaths. Our sister station in Norfolk, Virginia is reporting that the major increase of 96 new COVID-19 deaths statewide is due to a backlog of data.
Death reporting lags a day a COVID-19 patient actually died, meaning a majority of the deaths reported Tuesday happened well before. VDH acknowledged the backlog on its website Tuesday and said it “is working diligently to identify COVID-19 related deaths using vital record death certificate information.”
The state’s data on the virus continues to see an upward trend. Virginia now has a total of 135,514 cases of COVID-19 — that’s 943 more cases than yesterday.
The state’s positivity rate has decreased to 7.1 percent when compared to last week when the state’s rate was at 7.8 percent.
Thursday, Sept. 17 — Robinson Theater, 2903 Q St, Richmond, VA 23223 from 9 – 11 a.m.
COVID-19 at local universities
As of Sept. 15, the college has reported:
- 42 active student cases and 11 active employee cases of COVID-19.
- 9 students are in isolation on campus.
- 20 students are in quarantine on campus.
As of Sept. 14, here is what the college has reported:
- 15 total cases and 3 active cases of COVID-19.
- The university said there were 25 people who tested positive before arriving on campus.
- 0.4 percent cumulative testing positivity rate
The university’s dashboard as of Sept. 14 shows that:
- 357 total (students and employees) active cases.
- 1,001 people have recovered from the virus since July.
- The overall positivity rate of the university’s health center’s test is 25.66%
- Read about one JMU student’s experience with COVID-19 here.
COVID-19 cases in Central Virginia
- Charles City County: 83 cases, 5 death
- Chesterfield County: 6,036 cases, 95 deaths
- City of Colonial Heights: 260 cases, 26 deaths
- City of Hopewell: 401 cases, 7 deaths
- City of Richmond: 4,649 cases, 61 deaths
- Dinwiddie County: 398 cases, 11 deaths
- Goochland County: 274 cases, 7 deaths
- Hanover County: 1,311 cases, 38 deaths
- Henrico County: 5,478 cases, 212 deaths
- New Kent County: 194 cases, 3 death
- Powhatan County: 229 cases, 5 deaths