VIRGINIA (WRIC) — Cases in Virginia keep increasing by hundreds of cases per day. In the latest update from the Virginia Department of Health, cases rose by 1,134 in the last 24 hours.
The commonwealth has a total of 1,260 outbreaks that have contributed to 27,396 COVID-19 cases. The current 7-Day positivity rate is at 5 percent.
Coronavirus cases in the U.S. are also on the rise again, just as health experts feared. Average deaths per day across the country are up 10% over the past two weeks, from 721 to nearly 794 as of Sunday, according to data from Johns Hopkins University.
Health experts had warned that it was only a matter of time before deaths turned upward, given the record-breaking surge in cases engulfing the country. Deaths are a lagging indicator — that is, it generally takes a few weeks for people to sicken and die from the coronavirus.
- Tuesday, October 27 — United Methodist Church 4 to 5 p.m.
- Thursday, October 29 — Cornerstone AG Church, 4 to 5 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 11 — Walmsley UMC, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Tuesdays, November 17 and 24 — Walmsley UMC, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday, October 31 — Faith and Family Church 5 to 6 p.m.
- Saturday, October 31 — Southside Community Service Center 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 3 – Friday, November 6 — Chesterfield Fairgrounds at Vietnam Veterans Building, noon to 1 p.m.
- Thursday, November 5, 12, and 19 — Faith and Family Center, 4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Saturday, November 7, 14, and 21 — Chesterfield Health Department Smith-Wagner Building Multi-Purpose Room, 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
- Fridays, November 13 and 20 — Second Baptist Church, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Mondays, November 16, 23, and 30 — Second Baptist Church, 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 11 and 18 — St. Augustine Catholic Church, 11 a.m. to noon
COVID-19 AT LOCAL UNIVERSITIES
As of Oct. 26, the college has reported:
- 11 active student cases and 7 active employee cases of COVID-19.
- 7 students are in isolation on campus.
- 9 students are in quarantine on campus.
As of Oct. 26, here is what the college has reported:
- 33 total cases and 6 active cases of COVID-19.
- The university said the monthly testing positivity rate for September is 1.1%
The university’s dashboard as of Oct. 9 shows that:
- 18 total (students and employees) active cases.
- 1,584 people have recovered from the virus since July.
- Read about one JMU student’s experience with COVID-19 here.
LOCAL COVID-19 CASES IN SCHOOLS
The Virginia Department of Health is now reporting on COVID-19 outbreaks in K-12 schools. In our area, there have been six outbreaks at local schools.
|COUNTY||STAFF CASES||STUDENT CASES||DEATHS|
LOCAL COVID-19 CASES
- Charles City County: 137 cases, 5 death
- Chesterfield County: 8,942 cases, 128 deaths
- City of Colonial Heights: 397 cases, 26 deaths
- City of Hopewell: 603 cases, 9 deaths
- City of Richmond: 6,491 cases, 81 deaths
- Dinwiddie County: 650 cases, 13 deaths
- Goochland County: 420 cases, 7 deaths
- Hanover County: 2,312 cases, 52 deaths
- Henrico County: 8,047 cases, 244 deaths
- New Kent County: 372 cases, 4 death
- Powhatan County: 437 cases, 6 deaths