RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Here’s the latest on the coronavirus pandemic for May 26, 2020:
The Virginia Department of Health reported 39,342 cases of COVID-19 — 37,440 confirmed and 1,902 probable — Tuesday. The death toll is now at 1,236.
Virginia Hospitals and Healthcare Association reported that more than 5,200 people with the virus have been released from the hospital. The VDH and VHHA do not report recoveries.
When will Phase One of reopening Richmond begin?
Richmond Mayor Levar Stoney will provide an update on the city’s reopening this afternoon following Gov. Northam’s press briefing.
Stay with 8News for updates.
COVID-19 Testing in RVA this week
- May 27 — SOUTHWOOD APARTMENTS, 1400 Southwood Parkway from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- May 27 — EASTERN HENRICO REC CENTER, 1440 N. Laburnum Ave from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- May 30 — MLK MIDDLE SCHOOL, 1000 Mosby Street from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Governor Northam may require Virginians wear masks
Governor Northam is expected to make a decision today on whether he will issue a statewide mandate requiring that Virginians wear protective masks while in public.
Several states are already requiring face coverings in public spaces while others are just asking residents to have them on when they are in businesses or commuting on public transportation.
“We want to make sure everyone has access to a mask, we also want to talk about how we enforce that but I’ll be making that announcement on Tuesday,” Northam explained.
Virginia confirms 2nd case of new inflammatory syndrome in children linked to COVID-19
According to Virginia Health Commissioner Dr. Norman Oliver, the condition can “impact multiple organs in the child’s body” and researchers have seen symptoms that resemble Kawasaki disease, a condition that has led to heart problems.
COVID-19 in Virginia
Here’s a breakdown of cases in our area:
LOCAL COVID-19 CASES TO DATE
- Charles City County: 41 cases, 3 death
- Chesterfield County: 3,108 cases, 61 deaths
- City of Colonial Heights: 151 cases, 20 deaths
- City of Hopewell: 192 cases, 5 death
- City of Petersburg: 314 cases, 8 deaths
- City of Richmond: 2,333 cases, 33 deaths
- Goochland County: 129 cases, 6 deaths
- Hanover County: 459 cases, 31 deaths
- Henrico County: 2,725 cases, 169 deaths
- New Kent County: 62 cases, 1 death
- Powhatan County: 86 cases, 2 deaths