RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Here’s the latest on the coronavirus pandemic for June 30, 2020:
The Virginia Department of Health reported 62,787 cases of COVID-19 — 60,124 confirmed and 2,663 probable — Tuesday. The death toll is now at 1,763
Virginia Hospitals and Healthcare Association reported that 8,023 people with the virus have been released from the hospital. The VDH and VHHA do not report recoveries.
Virginia will reopen Wednesday under Phase 3
Virginia reopens under Phase 3
COVID-19 in Virginia
Here’s a breakdown of cases in your area:
- Charles City County: 398 cases, 11 deaths
- Chesterfield County: 23,594 cases, 306 deaths
- City of Colonial Heights: 1,364 cases, 41 deaths
- City of Hopewell: 2,100 cases, 47 deaths
- City of Petersburg: 3,161 cases, 52 deaths
- City of Richmond: 14,849 cases, 197 deaths
- Dinwiddie County: 1,791 cases, 27 deaths
- Goochland County: 1,209 cases, 15 deaths
- Hanover County: 6,663 cases, 128 deaths
- Henrico County: 21,446 cases, 499 deaths
- New Kent County: 1,244 cases, 12 death
- Powhatan County: 1,644 cases, 8 deaths
- 'We were basically in a black hole, like no one cared': Inmates speak about catching COVID-19 in Virginia state prisonsAntwain Steward and Candace Williams are both Virginia inmates who tested positive for the coronavirus while incarcerated. Their stories show how Virginia correctional facilities responded to the pandemic and how those actions impacted prisoners.
- The Virginia Department of Health announced the first case of the South African COVID-19 variant was identified in an adult resident of Northwestern Virginia.
- The Virginia Department of Health is reporting 1,385 new cases of COVID-19, 160 new deaths and the commonwealth's positivity rate has dipped below 7%.
- The university said the percentage of students in isolation and quarantine is the lowest it has been since the move-in period for the spring semester.
- When attempting to predict who will end up in the ICU with COVID-19, the answer flows in the blood. Until now, there was no definitive way to chart a patient’s course, but there are known risk factors, like obesity, high blood pressure and diabetes.
- A senior World Health Organization official said Monday it was “premature” and “unrealistic” to think the pandemic might be stopped by the end of the year, but that the recent arrival of effective vaccines could at least help dramatically reduce hospitalizations and death.
- The Virginia Department of Health has reported an increase of 1,124 COVID-19 cases in the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of cases in the Commonwealth to 577,174.
- The White House coronavirus response team assembled by President Joe Biden will address the public Monday, as the rapid rollout of the nation's third approved COVID-19 vaccine gets underway.
- When it comes to COVID-19 variants and vaccines, many questions remain nebulous. But with new variants being discovered with frequency, how worried should we be about whether the vaccines will work against novel strains?
- Coronavirus update: More than 1,700 new cases reported in Virginia; 7-day positivity rate down to 7.2%There was a slight change in the positivity rate, it is now at 7.2%. This is the lowest the rate has been since November.