RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Here’s the latest on the coronavirus pandemic for the Commonwealth on August 25, 2020.
The Virginia Department of Health is reporting 114,635 cases of COVID-19. That’s an increase of 1,005 cases since Monday. The case count for the 7-day moving average is showing a downward trend.
The positivity rate for Virginia is at 6.4 percent for the second day in a row.
Currently, 9,259 Virginians have been hospitalized for COVID-19. The virus has claimed the lives of 2,494 people in the Commonwealth — that is 23 new reported deaths overnight.
There are now 799 reported coronavirus outbreaks in the commonwealth — 370 are in long term care facilities and 45 are in educational settings.
Free testing in Richmond today
Tuesday, August 25 – Hotchkiss Field Community Center (Richmond)
- Address: 701 E. Brookland Park Blvd, Richmond, VA 23222
- Time: 4:00 – 6:00 PM
- Rain or shine
Thursday, August 27 – Tuckahoe Middle School (Henrico)
- Address: 9000 Three Chopt Rd., Richmond, VA 23229
- Time: 9:00 -11:00 AM
- Rain or shine
To register for testing, call the Richmond & Henrico COVID-19 hotline at 804-205-3501, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday – Friday. Limited walk-up is available.
COVID-19 in Central Virginia
Richmond had the most new cases of COVID-19 in Central Virginia with 47 new reported cases since yesterday. There was one new death in our area in Chesterfield County.
- Charles City County: 66 cases, 5 death
- Chesterfield County: 4,888 cases, 77 deaths
- City of Colonial Heights: 218 cases, 22 deaths
- City of Hopewell: 324 cases, 4 death
- City of Richmond: 3,662 cases, 43 deaths
- Dinwiddie County: 266 cases, 8 deaths
- Goochland County: 182 cases, 7 deaths
- Hanover County: 745 cases, 34 deaths
- Henrico County: 4,403 cases, 189 deaths
- New Kent County: 143 cases, 1 death
- Powhatan County: 180 cases, 4 deaths
- The main focus of the briefing was to talk about the rollout of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Within the next couple of days, Dr. Avula said Virginia would have received right around 69,000 doses of the vaccine. He said for the first couple of weeks, the vaccine will be prioritized for mass vaccination events.
- VDH is reporting the highest number of COVID-19 related deaths since the pandemic began last year. The state’s COVID-19 deaths increased by 383. The new state total is 9,326.
- City Council members representing Richmond's Southside began calling for a vaccination center south of the river back in February. Now with the expansion of pharmacy vaccination sites, Southside residents will have a local vaccination site.
- 69,000 coronavirus vaccine doses from Johnson & Johnson are slated to arrive in Virginia by the weekend, according to the state's top vaccine program official.
- 'Cause once you're dead that's a bit too late': Dolly Parton gets vaccine, rewrites lyrics to a popular song"I know I'm trying to be funny now but I'm dead serious about the vaccine. I think we all want to get back to normal, whatever that is. And that would be a great shot in the arm, wouldn't it, if we could get back to that."
- Members of the Virginia National Guard are training at the Richmond Raceway to support the Henrico mass vaccination clinic.
- It's been nearly a year devoid of large social gatherings, but there is a glimmer of hope for the vaccinated among us.
- Nurse paralyzed from COVID-19 complications returns to Florida after months in Massachusetts hospitalDesmon Silva was placed on a ventilator last summer after becoming paralyzed from the neck down due to complications from the coronavirus.
- 'We were basically in a black hole, like no one cared': Inmates speak about catching COVID-19 in Virginia state prisonsAntwain Steward and Candace Williams are both Virginia inmates who tested positive for the coronavirus while incarcerated. Their stories show how Virginia correctional facilities responded to the pandemic and how those actions impacted prisoners.
- The Virginia Department of Health announced the first case of the South African COVID-19 variant was identified in an adult resident of Northwestern Virginia.