RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — The Virginia Department of Health reported more than 1,000 new coronavirus cases for the third day in a row. There were 1,300 new cases reported in the last 24 hours, bringing the total to 132,940. Of the cases, 126.850 are confirmed and 6,090 are probable.
The combined total of cases from Friday and Saturday is higher than any other two day total that Virginia has seen in the last month.
The current 7-day positivity rate is holding steady at 7.8 percent.
The Commonwealth has seen 10,218 hospitalizations due to COVID-19 since the pandemic began. Right now there are 249 hospital beds occupied by COVID-19 patients in the Virginia.
Upcoming testing events in Richmond
The Richmond City and Henrico Health districts are offering free community testing for COVID-19.
- Monday, Sept. 14 — Diversity Richmond, 1407 Sherwood Ave, Richmond, VA 23220 from 4 – 6 p.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 17 — Robinson Theater, 2903 Q St, Richmond, VA 23223 from 9 – 11 a.m.
COVID-19 at local universities
As of Sept. 11, the college has reported:
- 47 active student cases and 11 active employee cases of COVID-19.
- 6 students are in isolation on campus.
- 15 students are in quarantine on campus.
As of Sept. 10, here is what the college has reported:
- 15 total cases and 3 active cases of COVID-19.
- The university said there were 25 people who tested positive before arriving on campus.
- 0.5 percent cumulative testing positivity rate
The university’s dashboard as of Sept. 9 shows that:
- 557 total (students and employees) active cases.
- 662 people have recovered from the virus since July.
- The overall positivity rate of the university’s health center’s test is 24.58%
- Read about one JMU student’s experience with COVID-19 here.
COVID-19 in Central Virginia
Cases increased exponentially in Central Virginia. Chesterfield County and Henrico County now have reached 5,000 cases of COVID-19, and are followed closely by Richmond which is reporting more than 4,200 cases of the virus.
- Charles City County: 76 cases, 5 death
- Chesterfield County: 5,500 cases, 85 deaths
- City of Colonial Heights: 239 cases, 23 deaths
- City of Hopewell: 367 cases, 5 deaths
- City of Richmond: 4,291 cases, 50 deaths
- Dinwiddie County: 336 cases, 8 deaths
- Goochland County: 242 cases, 7 deaths
- Hanover County: 1,064 cases, 35 deaths
- Henrico County: 5,000 cases, 195 deaths
- New Kent County: 164 cases, 2 deaths
- Powhatan County: 202 cases, 5 deaths