RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Here’s the latest coronavirus update from the Virginia Department of Health for Tuesday, April 13:
Virginia’s vaccination effort
Virginia is getting 72,958 doses into arms each day on average. According to the state’s health department, more than 4.8 million doses have been administered in Virginia.
As of April 13, 21.7% of the state’s population has been fully vaccinated. More than three million people in the state have received their first COVID-19 vaccine dose.
However, vaccination numbers may go down in the coming days now that Virginia is pausing all Johnson & Johnson vaccinations.
This decision was made after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration announced they were investigating unusual clots in six women that occurred 6 to 13 days after vaccination. The administrations suggested states pause the distribution of these vaccines in the meantime.
COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations
The Virginia Department of Health reported 2,048 new cases, which includes those who tested positive and people with known exposure to COVID-19. In total, Virginia has reported 638,910 COVID-19 cases and 10,506 deaths.
As of Monday, the Virginia Hospital & Healthcare Association is reporting that 1,070 people are currently in the hospital with COVID-19, with 252 of those patients in the ICU. There are 144 people currently on a ventilator.
COVID-19 at local universities
As of April 12, the college has reported:
- 44 active student cases and 11 active employee cases of COVID-19.
- 3 students are in isolation on campus.
- 7 students are in quarantine on campus.
As of April 9, here is what the college has reported:
- 16 current active COVID-19 cases
- March 2021 monthly positivity was 0.5%
- 23,345 total COVID-19 tests*
*Total COVID tests are the total number of PCR or antigen tests conducted by UR or self-reported by students, faculty and staff.
Local COVID-19 cases in Central Virginia
- Charles City County*: 469 cases, 15 deaths
- Chesterfield County: 26,266 cases, 406 deaths
- City of Colonial Heights: 1,609 cases, 57 deaths
- City of Hopewell: 2,453 cases, 64 deaths
- City of Petersburg: 3,637 cases, 80 deaths
- City of Richmond: 16,271 cases, 255 deaths
- Dinwiddie County: 2,038 cases, 42 deaths
- Goochland County: 1,368 cases, 23 deaths
- Hanover County: 7,681 cases, 148 deaths
- Henrico County: 24,088 cases, 588 deaths
- New Kent County: 1,430 cases, 15 death
- Powhatan County: 1,830 cases, 14 deaths
*Charles City County reported one less death than yesterday