RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Virginia reported 2,544 new coronavirus cases in the last 24 hours, the second highest daily total to date in the commonwealth. The record for a one-day increase was set this week when 2,677 cases were reported on Monday.
According to new data provided by the Virginia Department of Health, 3,912 people in the commonwealth have died due to the virus and nearly 14,000 hospitalizations have been investigated by VDH.
The commonwealth has reported 213,331 total cases since the pandemic hit in mid-March. The seven-day average number of daily new cases reported went from 1,823 to 2,010 and the total number of new cases per 100,000 people is 288.4 within the last two weeks.
The online dashboard from the Virginia Hospital & Healthcare Association shows there are 1,510 patients in hospitals across the commonwealth who have either tested positive for the novel coronavirus or have test results that are pending. VHHA data shows that nearly 23,000 patients have been discharged from the hospital, 318 are currently hospitalized in the ICU and 133 are on a ventilator.
As cases climb in Virginia and across the country, Pfizer and its German partner BioNTech announced plans Friday to file for emergency authorization for their COVID-19 vaccine to be used in the U.S. The companies said Thursday that the vaccine appears to be 95% effective.
COVID-19 AT LOCAL UNIVERSITIES
As of Nov. 19, the university has reported:
- 19 active student cases and 11 active employee cases of COVID-19.
- 7 students in isolation on campus.
- 21 students are in quarantine on campus.
As of Nov. 18, here is what the university has reported:
- 81 total cases and 28 active cases of COVID-19.
- The university said the monthly testing positivity rate for October is 1.2%
The university’s dashboard as of Nov. 20, shows that:
- 35 total (students and employees) active cases.
- 1,618 people have recovered from the virus since July.
- Read about one JMU student’s experience with COVID-19 here.
LOCAL COVID-19 CASES
- Charles City County: 127 cases, 5 death
- Chesterfield County: 8,451 cases, 124 deaths
- City of Colonial Heights: 369 cases, 26 deaths
- City of Hopewell: 576 cases, 9 deaths
- City of Richmond: 6,215 cases, 80 deaths
- Dinwiddie County: 618 cases, 13 deaths
- Goochland County: 389 cases, 7 deaths
- Hanover County: 2,139 cases, 49 deaths
- Henrico County: 7,604 cases, 242 deaths
- New Kent County: 351 cases, 4 death
- Powhatan County: 391 cases, 6 deaths