SOUTHAMPTON, Va. (WRIC) — Another inmate has passed away due to complications from the coronavirus at the Deerfield Correctional Center. The Virginia Department of Corrections reported on Saturday that 14 Deerfield inmates have been killed by COVID-19 since the start of the pandemic.
The 13th death at the center was reported on Friday.
Over the course of the pandemic, 723 inmates and 35 staff members have contracted the virus. VDOC says there are currently 368 infected inmates on site and 15 hospitalized.
On Friday, 8News took action and spoke with numerous staff members from Deerfield who said there was not enough personal protective equipment available at the facility. On top of that workers said thorough cleaning was not being done and inmates were not being taken care of properly.
- Hurricane Zeta brings rain to RVA on Thursday and Friday
- Disabled veterans explain tax break amendment on Virginia ballot
- Henrico board members approve emergency changes to four ‘at-risk’ polling locations to protect seniors
- Man accused of stealing vehicle with baby inside sought by Richmond police
- Chesterfield School Board asks community for input on elementary school name