CHICAGO (NewsNation Now) — South Dakota, West Virginia and North Dakota top the list of states with the highest percentage of their population who have been given the first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. All three states have more than 5% given the vaccine, as of Monday, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
At the opposite end are Arkansas and Georgia at 1.4% and South Carolina at 1.5% of the population vaccinated.
NewsNation spoke with West Virginia’s governor about how his state has handled the vaccine distribution. Watch the discussion in the player below.
- March 4, 2020. A room inside the state's Patrick Henry Building was packed with maskless state employees, press, health experts and officials from the governor's administration all while a pandemic peeked around the corner.
- In the wake of Texas Governor Greg Abbott's decision to do away with coronavirus restrictions, major retailers, restaurants and even NBA teams are declining to follow his lead when it comes to mask requirements.
- Some kids likely won't get COVID vaccines until 2022: Is it safe for Virginia schools to reopen now?RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC)-Gov. Ralph Northam is calling on all Virginia school districts to offer in-person learning by March 15th but some kids aren't expected to be vaccinated for COVID-19 until next year. Dr. Anthony Fauci, the head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, recently predicted that high school students will start getting […]
- Over the next seven days, the Richmond Henrico Health District will be holding three mass vaccination events to vaccinate 12,000 local seniors.
- The main focus of the briefing was to talk about the rollout of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Within the next couple of days, Dr. Avula said Virginia would have received right around 69,000 doses of the vaccine. He said for the first couple of weeks, the vaccine will be prioritized for mass vaccination events.
- VDH is reporting the highest number of COVID-19 related deaths since the pandemic began last year. The state’s COVID-19 deaths increased by 383. The new state total is 9,326.
- City Council members representing Richmond's Southside began calling for a vaccination center south of the river back in February. Now with the expansion of pharmacy vaccination sites, Southside residents will have a local vaccination site.
- 69,000 coronavirus vaccine doses from Johnson & Johnson are slated to arrive in Virginia by the weekend, according to the state's top vaccine program official.
- 'Cause once you're dead that's a bit too late': Dolly Parton gets vaccine, rewrites lyrics to a popular song"I know I'm trying to be funny now but I'm dead serious about the vaccine. I think we all want to get back to normal, whatever that is. And that would be a great shot in the arm, wouldn't it, if we could get back to that."
- Members of the Virginia National Guard are training at the Richmond Raceway to support the Henrico mass vaccination clinic.