TAPPAHANNOCK, Va. (WRIC) — An Essex County Public Schools staff member has tested positive for COVID-19, the district’s superintendent confirmed Wednesday.
According to Dr. Harry R. Thomas, III, the positive case stems from Tappahannock Elementary School. The staff member is currently in quarantine. 8News obtained a letter Thursday, however, informing parents of a second confirmed positive case of COVID-19 at Tappahannock Elementary School.
As a result, schools will remain closed through Labor Day, Dr. Thomas adds, for deep cleaning and sanitation. The letter also states the Central Office building will close.
“The Health Department will assign a case investigator who will contact the subject of the investigation and any and all persons who may have been exposed, to include family members,” the letter read.
Virtual classes for the first nine weeks of the fall semester began Monday, Aug. 24.
- City in Kentucky using eminent domain to obtain property where convalescent home stands
- TikTok influencer shares domestic violence survival story
- Migrant moms take solace in children as they brace for Mother’s Day far from home
- Group walking 902 miles for human trafficking awareness stops in Richmond
- Pasquotank sheriff tells deputies involved in Andrew Brown Jr. shooting to temporarily relocate as safety precaution