Child burned by Samsung phone


(CNN) – A 6-year-old boy is recovering from second degree burns after a Samsung Galaxy Note 7 burst into flames.

Authorities say the boy was watching videos on his grandmother’s smartphone when it exploded.

6-year-old Kadim’s grandfather, John Lewis, said, “He was playing with the phone because he always has the phone playing with it. The phone start catching on fire.”

Lewis described how terrified his grandson was as the Samsung phone exploded. “He threw it on the ground and ran outside. The cops came, the fire truck came, because the alarm inside went off.”

Kadim was taken to Downstate Medical Center and treated with second degree burns on his hand.

This may be the first injury from the defective phones but Samsung knows of at least 35 incidents of the lithium ion batteries exploding.

Despite Kadim’s injuries, Monday he went back to school.

Lewis says, “He’s doing pretty alright. He went to school. But he was kind of timid because he doesn’t want to see no phone.”

Samsung is working with the Lewis family regarding the incident.

The company says all Galaxy Note owners should turn off their device and exchange it.Copyright 2016 CNN

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

StormTracker 8

Trending Stories

More Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss

Local Events