RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — Here’s the latest coronavirus update from the Virginia Department of Health for Saturday, April 17:
Virginia’s vaccination effort
Virginia is getting 77,918 doses into arms each day on average. According to the state’s health department, more than 5.2 million doses have been administered in Virginia.
As of April 17, 24.1% of the state’s population has been fully vaccinated. More than three million people in the state have received their first COVID-19 vaccine dose. Upcoming vaccine clinics in Dinwiddie County will administer Pfizer, Moderna instead of J&J
However, vaccination numbers may go down in the coming days now that Virginia is pausing all Johnson & Johnson vaccinations.
This decision was made after the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration announced they were investigating unusual clots in six women that occurred 6 to 13 days after vaccination. The administrations suggested states pause the distribution of these vaccines in the meantime.
COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations
The Virginia Department of Health reported 1,608 new cases, which includes those who tested positive and people with known exposure to COVID-19. In total, Virginia has reported 644,828 COVID-19 cases and 10,564 deaths.
As of today, the Virginia Hospital & Healthcare Association is reporting that 1,032 people are currently in the hospital with COVID-19, with 248 of those patients in the ICU. There are 142 people currently on a ventilator.
COVID-19 testing events
- Thursday, April 22: East Henrico Health Department, 1400 N Laburnum Avenue. 2 to 4 p.m.
COVID-19 at local universities
As of April 16, the college has reported:
- 45 active student cases and 6 active employee cases of COVID-19.
- 3 students are in isolation on campus.
- 7 students are in quarantine on campus.
As of April 16, here is what the college has reported:
- 2 current active COVID-19 cases
- March 2021 monthly positivity was 0.5%
- 25,291 total COVID-19 tests*
*Total COVID tests are the total number of PCR or antigen tests conducted by UR or self-reported by students, faculty and staff.US recommends pause on Johnson & Johnson vaccine use over blood clots Homeless in US finally getting their shot at COVID-19 vaccine
Local COVID-19 cases in Central Virginia
- Charles City County: 481 cases, 15 deaths
- Chesterfield County: 26,520 cases, 411 deaths
- City of Colonial Heights: 1,629 cases, 57 deaths
- City of Hopewell: 2,484 cases, 66 deaths
- City of Petersburg: 3,689 cases, 81 deaths
- City of Richmond: 16,437 cases, 255 deaths
- Dinwiddie County: 2,053 cases, 42 deaths
- Goochland County: 1,388 cases, 23 deaths
- Hanover County: 7,788 cases, 150 deaths
- Henrico County: 24,312 cases, 590 deaths
- New Kent County: 1,439 cases, 15 deaths
- Powhatan County: 1,846 cases, 15 deaths
- Prince George County: 3,373 cases, 26 deaths