INDIANAPOLIS (WXIN) — A burglar struck the Indianapolis home an HGTV star, leaving a nasty calling card in the process.
Karen E Laine – the star of the Indianapolis-based home-flipping show Good Bones – says the recent break-in was the third time someone got into her home, and the second time an individual left a fecal surprise in her garage. The latest incident came the same day her youngest daughter got married. The burglar entered through a back gate before getting into their garage.
“Last Saturday someone came in, stole more things, and pooped in the garage,” says Laine.
After the first break-in, Laine found her husband’s bike stolen and poop left in a bucket in the garage.
“It seems very personal and intentional,” said Laine, adding that the suspect rummaged through their bathroom in the garage. “So they know we have a bathroom. That’s what makes it feel personal because it’s not, ‘Oh, I need to go to the bathroom.’ It’s, ‘I’m going to leave my feces behind for you to clean up.’”
This second incident involved a break-in while her family slept. The crook made off with her purse. Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department reports say the suspect used a stolen card at several locations afterward. What the crook didn’t realize is Laine is a former deputy prosecutor.
“Probably not the house you want to burglarize because I was immediately on the case,” smiled Laine. “I found out where my credit cards were used. I got it to law enforcement. I said ‘you need a warrant today to get an address on this.’ [The investigator] was able to recover video, so we may have people on video.”
IMPD continues to investigate the incidents. Laine says officers are also analyzing the feces for DNA.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- A man, identified as 34-year-old Thornton Jarell Satterwhite, has been arrested for strangulation that resulted after a domestic dispute on Monday night.
- The Richmond Police Department announced a multi-agency collaboration to help reduce vehicle theft in Central Virginia through an awareness campaign.
- Man found outside Richmond church after being shot at apartment complex
- A man, identified as 24-year-old Andrew Hany Metry, has been arrested for trespassing and attempted assault in Manassas.
- Virginia State Police and other agencies are urging drivers to lock their cars to prevent the rise in car thefts.
- Police are searching for a man involved in a shooting that left one injured on Monday.
- A repeat DUI offender was arrested after causing a multi-vehicle crash in North Stafford that left several people injured on Sunday.
- Hopewell police are investigating a double homicide in Hopewell after a man and a woman were found shot to death in a car early this morning.
- A man has been taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries after a stabbing in Richmond today.
- A woman in South Stafford was arrested by the Stafford County Sherriff's Office after she brandished a handgun during an incident on Sunday morning.