CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A Chesterfield County Sheriff’s Deputy was taken to the hospital today after he was exposed to a possible mixture of heroin and fentanyl while searching a new inmate at the Chesterfield County Jail.
On-duty medical staff assisted the deputy once he became lightheaded and faint. After an evaluation from the fire department and EMS he was taken to a local medical facility.
The jail’s main intake area had to be shutdown while it was decontaminated.
The man with the substance on him, 57-year-old Mark Anthony Mabry, was being process for Felony Abduction by Fore and Felony Sale for Profit. After the deputy was exposed to the drugs in his possession, Mabry is now also charged with Felony Possession of a Controlled Substance. His new charge could carry up to a 10 year prison sentence and fine of up to $2,500.
Mabry is being held without bond at the jail and will appear in court on Nov. 2.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- A Chesterfield family was forced to grieve the loss of their daughter for a second time after a prized possession was swiped from their vehicle.
- Richmond Police are investigating after a man reported he was the victim of a robbery early Monday morning.
- A man seen forcefully exhaling on two women outside President Donald Trump’s Virginia golf course has been charged with assault.
- Authorities say they arrested a 15-year-old boy in connection to a shooting at a suburban Milwaukee mall that injured eight people.
- The Wegmans grocery store in Short Pump was robbed on Saturday afternoon around 3:00 p.m.
- Two shootings took place in Richmond's southside Sunday, just one mile and two hours time separating the incidents. A teenage girl is now dead and a man attempted to take his own life.
- Police continued to search Sunday for the suspect in a shooting at a Wisconsin mall that left seven adults and a teenager injured.
- It's not believed the boy was the intended target and neither were the child's grandmother and 10-year-old sister, who were in the house at the time.
- A Polk County couple won’t serve any prison time in a child abuse case in which a malnourished, injured teenage girl was found hiding in the woods.
- During a press conference Saturday, Judd said 46-year-old Shawn Fitzgerald was arrested Friday and charged with 408 counts of possessing child pornography.