PRINCE GEORGE COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A convicted sex offender was mistakenly released from Riverside Regional Jail in Prince George County and is currently at large.
Prince George County Police responded to the jail located at 400 Folar Trail at 1:57 a.m. today after authorities reported an inmate was mistakenly released when he provided false information to staff.
The inmate is Juan Pelaez-Marroquin, 20, of Chesterfield County, who plead guilty and was convicted with two charges of forcible sodomy. He was incarcerated in the jail and awaiting sentencing.
Pelaez-Marroquin is described as 5-feet-9-inches tall, 180 pounds with brown hair and brown eyes.
He is currently wanted for felony escape.
Dianna Lassiter works in nearby Hopewell and told 8News she worries about kids in the area.
“I see a lot of kids when I’m driving to work,” she said. “It’s heavily full of kids around here and it scares me.”
A sentiment echoed by Ed Barsby of Hopewell.
“Kids are outside all the time but they have their parents out. But there’s a lot of kids over here that are playing around that their parents aren’t worried about,” he said.
Prince George County Police Chief Keith Early tells 8News a warrant was issued for Pelaez-Marroquin’s arrest. He is wanted for felony escape.
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the Prince George County Police Department at 804 733–2773, or Crime Solvers at 733-2777, or you can send your tip using the P3tips app.
- Movement is ‘only just beginning,’ President Trump says in farewell address
- VA House passes bill to keep some pandemic election changes; Republican leader casts doubt on results
- Inaugural day palindrome kicks off a 10-day stretch
- Alleged white supremacist arrested after ankle monitor puts him at Capitol riot
- Are you in Phase 1a or 1b? Here’s how to get your COVID vaccine