CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — A Chesterfield teenager has been sentenced to 35-years in prison for killing his elderly neighbor.
In April 2019, 17-year-old Rafael Angel Vargas killed 87-year-old Bryan Walker with a hammer. He later returned to the home to vandalize it with gang graffiti.
RELATED STORY: Teen pleads guilty in hammer slaying of elderly neighbor
Vargas pleaded guilty to the crime in January and was originally scheduled for sentencing on April 14.
The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports Vargas was sentenced on Tuesday for what the judge called a crime of extreme brutality. Prosecutors say the teen tried to make it look like Walker was killed during a robbery by an MS-13 gang member. Walker was considered one of Chesterfield County’s leading advocates for historic preservation.
- Buildings damaged, glass shattered after protests in Richmond turn violent
- Goochland County School Board votes for virtual reopening plan
- Powhatan school board approves Confederate flag ban
- Second stimulus checks: Why $1,200 payments aren’t expected in August
- Police: Chesterfield man shot during robbery attempt, suspect on the run