RANGELEY, Maine (WAVY) — A 21-year-old Virginia man wanted on a local felony warrant was arrested at the United States border in northwestern Maine Thursday.
He was with a woman who was the subject of a missing and endangered person alert, according to a U.S. Border Patrol news release.
According to Border Patrol, agents received information Thursday from an off-duty warden with the Maine Warden Service reporting two suspicious people near a remote forested area in the northwestern part of the state.
Border Patrol agents tracked the two down and found them to both be U.S. citizens.
They then checked records through law enforcement databases and the National Crime Information Center and confirmed the man was a convicted violent sex offender and a fugitive from Virginia. He was wanted on an extraditable warrant for allegedly failing to register as a sex offender.
The woman had an alert out as a missing and endangered person.
Border Patrol agents arrested the man and took the woman into custody for her safety.
The man was turned over to the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office for extradition to Virginia.
The woman spoke with detectives from the Maine Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner Program at the Rangeley Border Patrol Station. She was later reunited with her family.
“Significant arrests of violent criminals like this are great examples of how our partnerships with local and state agencies are imperative to the safety and security of our communities and our nation,” said Acting Chief Patrol Agent Jason Schneider. “We hope we have provided relief and comfort to the victim and her family with her safe return home.”
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- Virginia Beach police have arrested a 30-year-old man in connection with a robbery at a SunTrust Bank Monday morning.
- Two men are suspected of robbing the Quinton ABC store on New Kent Highway.
- The Richmond Police Department has identified the victim of Tuesday's fatal shooting on Bethel Street.
- The Prince William County Police Department said they have arrested a man from Woodbridge charged with raping a 7-year-old girl.
- Two people were stabbed after a fight broke out late Thursday in the City of Richmond.
- Officials say a state trooper fatally shot a man wanted for several felony charges after a pursuit along the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- The Petersburg Police Department is investigating a quadruple shooting. Police say four people were hurt, including one person who suffered life-threatening injuries. Authorities say the fourth victim walked into a local hospital with a gunshot wound.
- One person was killed, three wounded and nine others injured in reported drive-by shootings over a 90-minute span Thursday in three cities west of Phoenix, authorities said.
- Motorcycle driver faces multiple charges for Memorial Day police pursuit, contact with state police vehicleThe man involved with a police pursuit and motorcycle crash in Chesterfield County on Memorial Day is now facing multiple charges.
- According to court documents, a woman accused of trying to drown her child has been found not guilty of child abuse and second-degree murder by reason of insanity.