RANGELEY, Maine (WAVY) — A 21-year-old Virginia man wanted on a local felony warrant was arrested at the United States border in northwestern Maine Thursday.
He was with a woman who was the subject of a missing and endangered person alert, according to a U.S. Border Patrol news release.
According to Border Patrol, agents received information Thursday from an off-duty warden with the Maine Warden Service reporting two suspicious people near a remote forested area in the northwestern part of the state.
Border Patrol agents tracked the two down and found them to both be U.S. citizens.
They then checked records through law enforcement databases and the National Crime Information Center and confirmed the man was a convicted violent sex offender and a fugitive from Virginia. He was wanted on an extraditable warrant for allegedly failing to register as a sex offender.
The woman had an alert out as a missing and endangered person.
Border Patrol agents arrested the man and took the woman into custody for her safety.
The man was turned over to the Franklin County Sheriff’s Office for extradition to Virginia.
The woman spoke with detectives from the Maine Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner Program at the Rangeley Border Patrol Station. She was later reunited with her family.
“Significant arrests of violent criminals like this are great examples of how our partnerships with local and state agencies are imperative to the safety and security of our communities and our nation,” said Acting Chief Patrol Agent Jason Schneider. “We hope we have provided relief and comfort to the victim and her family with her safe return home.”
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- The Petersburg Police Department is investigating a shooting with one injury in the 700 block of Independence Avenue. The victim was taken to a Richmond hospital by air lift.
- According to NYSP, there were multiple reports of the suspect driver intentionally attempting to hit other vehicles.
- A woman's body was found in the water in Ocean View Friday afternoon, Norfolk Police said.
- A man has been arrested for robbing two grocery stores in Henrico's west end this month. According to the Henrico Police Department, during each robbery the suspect would give the cashier a note and escape with money.
- Chesterfield County and Colonial Heights Crime Solvers is asking for the public's help to find two fugitives this week.
- A 'porch pirate' was caught on camera this week in Richmond. The perpetrator? Someone dressed as an Amazon delivery driver.
- A body found in Florida Wednesday is presumed to be that of a missing Massachusetts teenager, according to the Bristol County District Attorney's Office.
- Domestic violence survivor speaks out as officials say pandemic & holidays create perfect storm for violenceDomestic violence calls are up around the holidays and police say the pandemic is making matters worse.
- HOLY CROP! Deputies seek a Powhatan man accused of trespassing with an ATV and destroying crops.
- Petersburg police need the public's help identifying a suspect linked to an aggravated assault.