STUART, Fla. — A Florida man fatally shot his pregnant wife after he thought he heard an intruder outside his bedroom door, according to WPBF.
The shooting happened just around 1:30 a.m. Wednesday in Stuart.
Martin County Sheriff William Snyder said the man called 911, telling dispatchers he accidentally shot his wife.
She was taken to a hospital where she died. The woman was six months pregnant, and doctors were able to save the baby, according to WPBF.
A 2-year-old child also in the home was not injured.
The sheriff says the man gave detectives a detailed account of what happened.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- Spotsylvania police responded to a series of overnight shootings on Saturday. Only one person was injured out of the three locations that had reported gunfire.
- Va. State Police looking for suspect wanted for carjacking a taxi on Interstate 95 in Caroline CountyVirginia State Police need the public's help locating a suspect that assaulted and carjacked a taxi driver on Interstate 95 South near Kings Dominion on Friday night.
- HERNDON, Va. (WDVM) — Police are investigating an apparent triple homicide in Fairfax County, Va. One adult and two children were found dead inside a home a home at the 500 block of Florida Ave.Officials say the victims, one adult and two children, were members of the same family. It is believed the suspect, who […]
- Virginia Beach police have arrested a 30-year-old man in connection with a robbery at a SunTrust Bank Monday morning.
- Two men are suspected of robbing the Quinton ABC store on New Kent Highway.
- The Richmond Police Department has identified the victim of Tuesday's fatal shooting on Bethel Street.
- The Prince William County Police Department said they have arrested a man from Woodbridge charged with raping a 7-year-old girl.
- Two people were stabbed after a fight broke out late Thursday in the City of Richmond.
- Officials say a state trooper fatally shot a man wanted for several felony charges after a pursuit along the Blue Ridge Parkway.
- The Petersburg Police Department is investigating a quadruple shooting. Police say four people were hurt, including one person who suffered life-threatening injuries. Authorities say the fourth victim walked into a local hospital with a gunshot wound.