PETERSBURG, Va. (WRIC) — A 27-year-old man accused of shooting a woman in Petersburg last month is now in custody.
Ryshwan Newsome was wanted in connection to a Sept. 8 shooting on Elm Street that left one woman with critical injuries. Police say the incident happened around 3:40 p.m.
At the time, authorities told 8News the woman was shot in the neck area and was med-flighted to the hospital with possible life-threatening injuries. Investigators added that the woman may have known Newsome.
Newsome is being held without bond on reckless handling of a firearm, shooting into an occupied vehicle and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.
The Petersburg Police Department thanked the U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force for their assistance.
- Ohio mail carrier accused of hiding 335 pieces of mail in car, including ballot application
- Judge orders 11-year-old boy behind bars to await trial for allegedly killing 6-year-old neighbor
- ‘Reject hate and division,’ Democratic VP nominee tells South Texas border rally
- Stranded fire crews rescued from James River during canoe search
- More than 50 Lee monument neighbors join the fight to take it down