SPOTSYLVANIA COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — According to police, a 28-year-old man was arrested for stealing the gun of a man who asked for a ride.
Deputies were called to the FasMart, located at 11625 Brock Road, on Wednesday, Oct. 21, for a robbery.
Deputies learned that the victim reportedly asked two men for a ride. The men obliged, but sometime later, the victim began to feel uncomfortable.
The victim asked the men to let him out at the FasMart.
According to deputies, a passenger, later identified as James Kornegay, grabbed a handgun that the victim had in a holster attached to his pants. An altercation ensued, causing the driver to stop the vehicle. Deputies say Kornegay eventually disarmed the victim and ran away from the scene.
Deputies eventually located the driver and Kornegay, who was identified as the robbery suspect.
Kornegay is charged with robbery, grand larceny and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon. He is being held at the Rappahannock Regional Jail with no bond.
The driver of the vehicle was not charged.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- A Chesterfield family was forced to grieve the loss of their daughter for a second time after a prized possession was swiped from their vehicle.
- Richmond Police are investigating after a man reported he was the victim of a robbery early Monday morning.
- A man seen forcefully exhaling on two women outside President Donald Trump’s Virginia golf course has been charged with assault.
- Authorities say they arrested a 15-year-old boy in connection to a shooting at a suburban Milwaukee mall that injured eight people.
- The Wegmans grocery store in Short Pump was robbed on Saturday afternoon around 3:00 p.m.
- Two shootings took place in Richmond's southside Sunday, just one mile and two hours time separating the incidents. A teenage girl is now dead and a man attempted to take his own life.
- Police continued to search Sunday for the suspect in a shooting at a Wisconsin mall that left seven adults and a teenager injured.
- It's not believed the boy was the intended target and neither were the child's grandmother and 10-year-old sister, who were in the house at the time.
- A Polk County couple won’t serve any prison time in a child abuse case in which a malnourished, injured teenage girl was found hiding in the woods.
- During a press conference Saturday, Judd said 46-year-old Shawn Fitzgerald was arrested Friday and charged with 408 counts of possessing child pornography.