RICHMOND, Va. (WRIC) — The Richmond Police Department is investigating after a man was found shot dead in an alley this morning.
According to police, officers were called to the 2400 block of Ford Avenue in the Whitcomb area for the report of a person down. Upon arrival, officers found a man down and unresponsive after having been shot.
The man was pronounced dead at the scene. The Medical Examiner will determine the cause and manner of death.
A death investigation is ongoing and detectives are asking anyone who may have seen suspicious activity or heard shots fired during the overnight hours in the area of the 2400 block of Ford Avenue, near Sussex Street, to call Detective N. Reese at 804-646-0712.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- Security camera footage shows the driver of a grey 2009-2014 Acura TL drive up to the church and around the parking lot. The driver then approaches the box while speeding up, goes off the road and rams the car into it.
- The Virginia Department of Corrections has extended its contract with Lawrenceville Correctional Center, the only privately-owned facility in the state.
- Four men were arrested and charged after an officer-involved shooting in Southside Richmond.
- Richmond Homicide Support Group hopes to bring relief, companionship to loved ones of those murderedFamilies of homicide victims gathered at the Richmond Police Academy last night to support one another with a Holiday Remembrance Memorial.
- Three accused of neglecting patients at Powhatan care home close facility, give up license to avoid chargesRob Cerullo, Powhatan County's Commonwealth's Attorney, told 8News his office has come to an agreement with Daryl and Karen Fitzgerald, as well as Clarence Lewis. If they agreed to close the Essene Home and give up their license, they would not go forward with the prosecution.
- A man is speaking out in support of his brother, who is currently sitting in a Henrico jail after he said he defended himself against a pair of unruly customers on Halloween night while working at a Waffle House.
- A California man has been sentenced to 17 years in federal prison after he sold fentanyl linked to two teenage overdoses that occurred in Wise County, Virginia.
- The Richmond Police Department has identified the man who died after a shooting last night on Floyd Avenue in Richmond's Fan neighborhood, whose death is now being investigated as a homicide.
- The Richmond Police Department is currently searching for a suspect wanted in connection with the deadly shooting of a 21-year-old Hopewell man earlier this year.
- One of the suspects accused in the shooting of a Virginia State University (VSU) campus police officer is scheduled to appear in court to be appointed an attorney.