HOPEWELL, Va. (WRIC) — Police are investigating the death of a 49-year-old man who was fatally shot in Hopewell on Wednesday night.
Officers were called to the 100 block of Brooklawn Avenue for reports of a shooting on Jan. 8.
Authorities found a victim, identified as Jimmy D. Beverly, inside a home suffering from life-threatening injuries. He was pronounced dead by responding EMS personnel.
On Thursday, 8News spoke with nearby residents who said they were shocked to hear about a shooting in their neighborhood.
“I’ve heard about things like this happening in Hopewell,” said resident Breanna Miles, “but never right down the street.”
Police said there is no suspect information at this time. Beverly’s body was transported to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner for an autopsy.
In the aftermath of Beverly’s death, government officials in Hopewell announced a crime summit for Jan. 15 at Carter G. Woodson Middle School, located at 1000 Winston Church Drive, at 6:30 p.m.
Anyone with information is asked to call (804) 541-2284. Persons with information on this crime and who wish to remain anonymous may contact the Hopewell Prince George Crimesolvers hotline in Hopewell at (804) 541-2202 or provide their tip using the P3tips mobile app.
- ‘It’s been humbling’; Virginia National Guard members share experiences ahead of tomorrow’s Inauguration
- Stripped of committee post after letter to Pence, Virginia GOP delegate says he’s mulling legal action
- Women to wear pearls, Converse on Inauguration Day in Harris’ honor
- Movement is ‘only just beginning,’ President Trump says in farewell address
- VA House passes bill to keep some pandemic election changes; Republican leader casts doubt on process