HOPWEWELL, Va. (WRIC) — The Hopewell Police Department said they have arrested a man linked to a gas station shooting that occurred earlier today.
The department said officers responded to a call at 10:17 a.m. to a report of multiple shots fired at the Petrol Gas Station on 3918 Oaklawn Boulevard.
Officers said the victim was pumping gas when the suspect pulled into the station a fired multiple shots at him. While this was happening, the victim was able to grab his firearm and then returned fire at the suspect.
HPD said officers recovered physical evidence from the scene and initiated further investiation.
The Hopewell Criminal Investigations Unit and Field Service Units conducted interviews and
spoke with witnesses that led to warrants being secured against Curtis Lee Hickman, 23, of
Petersburg. He was arrested at about 2 p.m. on the 4100 block of Old Iron Court without incident.
Police said Hickman had a non-life threatening gunshot wound to his butt and was transported to MCV Hospital for medical treatment.
After he was treated, Hickman was taken into custody and arrested on charges of possession of firearm by a convicted felon, shooting into an occupied vehicle, felony vandalism and discharging a firearm in city limits.
Police said this is an ongoing investigation.
Anyone with additional information about this incident is asked to contact the Hopewell Police Department at 804-541-2222. Persons with information on this crime and who wish to remain anonymous may contact the Hopewell Prince George Crimesolvers hotline in Hopewell at 804-541-2202 or provide their tip using the P3tips mobile app.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- A multi-agency investigation in Southern California led to the recovery of 33 children who had been missing, including eight who were sexually exploited, the FBI announced Friday.
- The VCU Police Department and Richmond Police Department arrested a man in connection to a pair of incidents where female VCU students reported being followed home by a stranger.
- A former ADT employee pleaded guilty in Texas court Thursday after admitting he hacked into the security feeds of hundreds of customers for "sexual gratification," prosecutors say.
- A 20-year-old man accused of stealing property from hotel guests took pairs of women's underwear and left a note with his phone number, new documents say.
- Richmond Police are investigating after a man in his 20s was killed early Friday morning.
- The Chesterfield County Police Department said they are investigating the death of an unidentified person whose remains were found at Pocahontas state Park on Wednesday.
- Richmond Police First Precinct detectives have arrested a suspect in a string of thefts from porches over the past several months.
- The U.S. District Attorney's Office says Chris Grider surrendered to FBI agents in Austin today. According to the warrant for his arrest, Grider admitted on camera to being there when Ashli Babbitt was shot outside the Speaker's Lobby.
- Police arrested an alleged serial killer accused of murdering several women at a New York City public housing complex for seniors dating back nearly six years.
- The Richmond Police Department is asking for the public's help finding a suspect linked to the burglary of a Boost Mobile store.