CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, Va. (WRIC) — Chesterfield County police warn residents looking for love that a dating site scam doesn’t end with a match and bliss but rather attempted extortion.
Police tweeted Friday, “We’ve had 3 cases since July: man meets “woman” on a dating site. They talk; explicit pics are sent by female. “Father” of female contacts victim saying female is underage and threatens victim; wants money.”
Officer say don’t fall for the scam by sending the money requested – call the authorities instead.
More Crime Coverage From 8News
- The Virginia State Police said they arrested a 17-year-old boy after he led troopers on a high-speed chase in a stolen car on Monday morning that ended in a vehicle crash.
- The man allegedly told authorities the gun belonged to his wife and he didn't know he had her gun with him. He arrested and faces a fine.
- The Petersburg Bureau of Police said a 14-year-old was grazed by a bullet Sunday evening.
- A Richmond-area musician is looking for the public's help after the tool most important to his line of work was stolen: his cello.
- The Chesterfield County Police Department has requested a juvenile petition for an 11-year-old male who allegedly called in a bomb threat to Salem Church Middle School on April 16.
- Police in Fredericksburg have arrested a Stafford man who fired a gun during a fight early Sunday morning.
- The Chesterfield County/Colonial Heights Crime Solvers are searching for a credit card fraud suspect and a credit card theft suspect.
- The Richmond Police Department found a man shot near Pollard Park on Friday afternoon.
- Two men from the Chesterfield area are facing multiple charges for a February incident that left one man dead in Richmond.
- Henrico Police seek additional charges against 19-year-old woman in fatal pedestrian hit-and-run crashA Henrico woman is now facing additional charges of involuntary manslaughter after a pedestrian hit-and-run crash that killed Shannon O'Leary on April 10.